Have you ever been to England? Many people have, and many more will go there in the future. This is because the country has a lot of history, including buildings that are hundreds of years old. The most beautiful churches in England are listed below:
The Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul is a cathedral in the city of Sheffield, England. It is one of the largest Gothic cathedrals in Europe, with its spire reaching 230 feet (70 m). The cathedral was built between 1421 and 1850, with much of it designed by William Wailes, who also designed Leeds Minster. It has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site for being “the most complete medieval church in Yorkshire”, with “a comprehensive display of English craftsmanship”.
The cathedral is open to visitors throughout the year; however, access may be limited during services or when there are events taking place within the building.
Salisbury Cathedral is a Gothic cathedral in Salisbury, England, and one of the leading examples of Early English architecture. It was built between 1220 and 1258, with a short interruption for the Second Barons’ War, and consecrated on 5 April 1258. The main body was constructed from Caen stone over a period of 34 years by bishops Hugh de Balsham (1220-1228) and Richard Poore (1229-1234). The east end was extended under Richard Poore’s successor, Edmund de Mortimer (1234-1256), who also transformed its appearance with an Early English style window that has been called “the most beautiful east window in England”.
From 1414 to 1443 building continued under Henry Chichele acting as Bishop of St David’s cathedral at Lampeter until he became archbishop of Canterbury in 1443; further work then took place between 1446 and 1457 under William Waynflete who had been appointed Dean of Lincoln after being Master at Eton College between 1440–44 before becoming Bishop of Winchester & Winchester Cathedral.
The Abbey is a Church of England parish church and a former Benedictine monastery in Bath, Somerset, England. Founded in 1499, it was completed in 1519. It has been designated as a Grade I listed building.
The Abbey was founded by the Benedictine order of monks and served as their seat until its dissolution by Henry VIII during the Reformation. It continued to be used after the dissolution as an Anglican parish church until 1937 when it was handed to the National Trust by Major Lionel de Rothschild whose family had owned it since 1887 when his grandfather James Mayer de Rothschild had bought it from the trustees of Lord Camden’s estate at Hinton Charterhouse near Bathampton village.